Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Stuffed Pasta with Sausage



The other day I was out doing my grocery shopping, and Meijer had the large bags of spinach on sale cheaper than the small bags. So logically, I bought the gigantic bag. Because I hate to throw food away, we've been eating spinach with every meal. And let me tell you, I'm starting to run out of ideas here on how to cook it. But then I remembered that I picked up some chicken sausage (with garlic and mozzarella)  that would be perfect with pasta. My first thought was to do stuffed shells, but I was out of large shells. Making the most of what I had on hand, I used lasagna noodles. A little unorthodox, but it ended up being a great dinner. 

What you'll need:
3 lasagna noodles, cooked al dente 
8 oz ricotta cheese
4 cups fresh spinach
Sausage, cut into pieces
Spaghetti Sauce
Parmesan Cheese
While the noodles are cooking, put the spinach in the food processor and process until it looks like lawn clippings, as my husband likes to call it. 


Add in ricotta cheese and process until smooth.



You'll have some of this left over, but it's great to add to just about any pasta dish and it will keep for a couple days. Now, lay out one lasagna noodle and cut into thirds. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of the spinach/cheese mixture into the noodle and roll up. 



Lay in the bottom of a 9" pie plate. Repeat. Add in sausage. 


Pour spaghetti sauce on top and sprinkle on Parmesan cheese. 


Bake at 375 for 35 minutes, or until bubbly and cheese has started to brown.
The husband loved it! I tried to get him to eat a spinach salad with it, but I guess that may have been pushing it a bit too far!

Have you check out all the fantastic blog parties on my sidebar? I LOVE all my blog hops, but I have a special place in my heart for the foodies! If you see one on the right that tickles your fancy, please check it out!
And speaking of foodie blog hops, have you checked out my new blog hop? Made From Scratch Tuesday is my new hop to show off all the hard work you put in to creating fantastic dishes from scratch.

12 comments:

Audrey Keating said...

That looks really good. My blog tonight has spinach in the recipe, and if you've still got some left, let me know and I've got a few more spinach recipes in the arsenal. Mmm!

Marcie @ DWYH said...

Yum... I love cooking with Spinach :)! Thanks for linking @ DWYH.

www.dontwasteyourhomecoming.com

Amanda said...

Looks yummy! I love spinach. Maybe I can try this so the heathens will eat spinach too? :)

Cranberry Morning said...

I've tried my food processor for making 'lawn clippings,' but find that my knife works better. Either way, it's a great way to push more spinach to the natives. :-)

Unknown said...

Yummy! This might be just the trick to sneak in some more veggies to the girls. They will eat broccoli and green beans and such, but it's time to add more to their plate!

Always Kara said...

All I have to say is YUMMY! New follower through Mingle Mondays! http://sahmandusmcwife.blogspot.com/

Lisa said...

This sounds great! I made something really similar last weekend and it turned out very good!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Jen,
Your Stuffed Pasta with Sausage looks so good and I can't wait to try it. Thank you so much for bringing it to Full Plate Thursday. You have a great week end and please come back!

Yona said...

The spinach looks really, really good. Thanks for sharing. I love reading food blogs with step-by-step images.

Im a new Google Connect Friend following you from Buzz On By Thursday Blog Hop! Love if you'd follow me back.

Yona Writes
http://artpark78.com/blog1

Jana H. said...

Looks amazing! I'm not to the point where I make up my own recipes yet, maybe someday.

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Hello, this is different and I mean that in a good way. Can't wait to make this. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

those are perfect...like cannelloni! your recipe is fabulous..thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club.